HT Club 40 sound problems urgent!

General Discussion Forum - Voice The Sound In Your Head
JakeDw

Mon Jan 14, 2019 3:21 pm

I bought my Blackstar HT Club 40 a few months ago from a guitar store I shop at regularly. The first week I had my HT Club 40 it worked perfect and I was very happy with it. But then problems started coming up one after another.

First, for everyone that reads this, yes I’ve read the manual and I know all the things you are supposed to do and not do with the amp. I’ve always been very careful in handling and using the amp how you are supposed to according to Blackstar.

My first problem arose about a week after I had the amp and been messing around with settings and stuff, and sometimes after turning on the amp and playing, the volume was significantly lower. When this would happen, sometimes it would fix itself as if it had to warm up to its max volume, and other times it would stay low. Sometimes I could bypass this problem by letting my guitar sit for an extra couple minutes before turning off the stand by to play, but this wouldn’t always work.

Note - All of these problems ONLY happen on the clean channel. I haven’t had any problems at all with the overdrive channel.

My second problem is that when this problem happens where the volume is really low, the tone goes out the window. If I try to turn up the volume on the amp and play to the volume I need (which is loud when playing gigs or along with music) I’ll get a terrible crunch sound from the amp when playing chords, especially on the mid and low strings (which are how most chords in our songs are played). I’ve messed around with settings and nothing seems to help.

Lastly, I’ve found that when I play for 30-45 minutes and longer I’ll start to hear a low rumbling sound from the amp, and it’ll get louder and start popping a little, then it’ll get get softer but never go away.

I say this is urgent because I have a big fundraiser gig on January 21st and this is the only amp I have loud enough so I’m heard, especially when playing solos.

8len8

Thu Jan 17, 2019 10:34 am

Replace the tubes.

AZGiant

Thu Jan 17, 2019 3:32 pm

I would agree with replacing the tubes first for sure, It would also be a transformer issue but that is a lot more rare. Replace the tubes (one at a time) to find the bad one. Then make sure to replace them all anyway so you have a new set (makes it easier for them to "wear" at the same time).

JakeDw

Fri Jan 18, 2019 10:52 pm

AZGiant wrote:
Thu Jan 17, 2019 3:32 pm
I would agree with replacing the tubes first for sure, It would also be a transformer issue but that is a lot more rare. Replace the tubes (one at a time) to find the bad one. Then make sure to replace them all anyway so you have a new set (makes it easier for them to "wear" at the same time).
Thanks, I appreciate the reply. I’ve already checked the pre amp tubes and those are fine so I’ll check the power tubes. Would I have to re-bias the tubes after I changed the them?

• Information