ID Core - Problem in power supply or amp? Need help!!

General Discussion Forum - Voice The Sound In Your Head
DanyAFS

Sun Jan 24, 2016 4:01 pm

Hey everyone.

So I have a Blackstar ID Core 10, which I got about 8 months ago.

It has been working fine until today. I was going to turn it on and something weird happened...

So, I plugged the power supply and the blue LED turned on as usual. I plugged it on the amp and I turned the amp on. The amp's lights turned on for about 1 second and they turned off again.

The blue LED on the power supply also turned off. I unplugged it from the amp and the power socket, adjusted the cord that connects the power supply to the socket with my hands (you know, the one that is removable) plugged it again to the socket. The blue LED turned on again, so I plugged it again on the amp. And the same thing happened... the amp turned on for about 1 second and turned off again. The blue LED also turned off.

The amp is doing this over and over again. I've tried different power sockets too.

If it matters, the amp and the power supply have stayed always in the same room, and they were NOT subject to sudden temperature changes and stuff like that. I also haven't stepped on the power supply or AC cord, let the amp fall, etc.

Is the problem on the power supply or the amp's power input (not sure this is the right term, but I'm talking about the hole where you plug the power supply to the amp)? What should I do?

If I bought a new power supply, could it be any with the same specs? (Input: 100-240V~, 1.0A, 50/60Hz; Output: 10.0V, 3.0A)

Update: I'm almost sure that the problem lies in the power supply. Sometimes the blue LED does not turns on. I adjust the cord that connects the supply to the socket with my hands (like, tighten it up a bit) and the blue LED turns on. Sometimes it turns off again after some time.

However, it seems like it's not providing the energy properly, otherwise the amp wouldn't turn itself off after 1 second right?

I'm not an expert on this kind of stuff, so it's just me speculating. I would like to hear your thoughts.
Last edited by DanyAFS on Sun Jan 24, 2016 7:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DanyAFS

Sun Jan 24, 2016 7:24 pm

Update nº2 - The problem is indeed on the power supply!

There seems to be a bad connection on the AC cord, and it has to be on a certain position for the blue LED to remain turned on. I have to push it a bit to the right if that makes sense. If I hold it in that position, the amp stays on as long as I want it. I'll contact the store where I bought the amp to see if I can get a replacement.

If anyone ever has a similar problem and stumbles upon this thread, check the AC cord of the power supply, it may be faulty.

• Information