Blackstar Fly 3 Power Supply

General Discussion Forum - Voice The Sound In Your Head
zeh

Mon Jul 31, 2017 8:41 pm

Got my Blackstar Fly 3 today and I have a question.
The Fly uses 6 AA 1,5V batteries which gives it 9 volts but surprisingly the power supply input says 6.5 volts 1.5 amps.
Does anyone tried to use a 9V power supply?

thanks in advance

Admin
Site Admin

Tue Aug 01, 2017 9:36 am

zeh wrote:
Mon Jul 31, 2017 8:41 pm
Does anyone tried to use a 9V power supply?
Hey Zeh,

We would not recommend using a 9V power supply, as the FLY 3 is not designed for a constant feed of power at 9V.

The FLY 3 runs at 6.5V due to the internal components only requiring 5V to operate correctly. 6.5V ensures that the components are not placed under too much stress during extended usage. 9V would apply unnecessary pressure for an elongated amount of time.

Battery life will inevitably decrease as the FLY 3 is in operation. 6 batteries are required to ensure longer battery life in total. Using a total of 6.5V would operate the FLY 3, but for not as long a timescale in comparison to 9V power via 6 batteries. As the battery life is always decreasing, it will not have the same effect as a constant 9V via a power supply.

Hope this helps!
Customer Support Hub - www.blackstaramps.com/support

Jude_Fr

Thu Jun 28, 2018 8:22 am

Hi there

I was looking at the Artec Power Brick power supply. It has adjustable outputs for 6V and 100mA.
Would that be ok to power the Fly 3 ?

Also can the speaker out be used to connect a larger speaker than 3" ?

Thanks
Jude

manxcat

Tue Jul 24, 2018 6:27 am

Rather cleverly and with unusual but commendable foresight, Blackstar's Fly 3 has been intentionally designed to run adequately on 6x AA rechargable NIMH batteries. At an nominal 1.2v per cell fully charged (initial 7.2v), they'll individually sustain 1.1v for an age. You can do that arithmetic to conclude why the unit has been designed to operate at 6.5v.

Whilst I got mine as an inclusion with a Fly 3 +Fly 103 combo pack, I'd recommend you just buy the standalone genuine Blackstar Fly 3 PSU if you want one. Why?

The Blackstar part is not outrageously expensive, and it's just the safe, no brainer route as its PSU features a unique combination of regulated voltage, polarity and output. You can buy them (visually identical without Blackstar branding but with identical specs. which would suggest them OEM) for less on AliExpress if you know exactly what you are looking for. For the few pesos you'll save and the wait, I wouldn't bother because Blackstar one also comes with a removable keyed plug (not IEC C13) power cable fitted with a wall plug specific to your country saving you the expense, & PITA in this case, of sourcing one elsewhere, plus the fixed plug on the delivery end is an L angle avoiding excess protrusion and natural strain relief. And of course, in the unusual instance it you received a faulty unit DOA OOTB, you can exchange or chase up its limited warranty in country if push came to shove with an unobliging shopkeeper.

• Information