HT-5r speaker swop or valve swop

General Discussion Forum - Voice The Sound In Your Head
texasbloos

Wed May 07, 2014 11:52 am

Hi anybody done any speaker swops in their HT-5r or valves. love the amp but think its alittle to gainy and would like to tame it a bit. yes i know they way its made is meant to be the finished article,but think its also to do with keeping the sale price down. so better speakers and valves would push the price up above the target area for sales. but then again I'am just a sucker for modding :geek: ,just love to hear the difference in sounds. not always better!!! :cry:
cheers ray

thephantum

Wed May 07, 2014 1:49 pm

A speaker swap will get rid of a lot of the "raspiness" (what you called grainy). What you go with will depend on the voice you are looking for. A Celestion V30 is a good choice for a more British voice. A Eminence Patriot series (Texas Heat, Swamp Thang or Cannibis Rex) will give a more American voice.

As far as the power tube (12BH7), there are not a lot of choices on the market. From what I've seen, it's either Electro Harmonix (which is what is in it) as well as a few NOS brands.

There are lots of choices for the preamp tube (12AX7) however and that tube will have the most impact on tone. The stock tube is a Sovtek 12AX7 WA, which is decent...but there are much better tubes in the same price range. I personally prefer the TungSol 12AX7 in my HT5RH...but for what these tubes cost ($15-$20 USD each) you can buy a few and experiment. The good news is that no biasing is necessary when swapping preamp tubes. They are literally plug and play.

Happy modding. :)

texasbloos

Thu May 08, 2014 5:51 pm

Hi Phantum
thanks for for your advice just ordered a 12BH7A Tung-Sol USA # NOS # coint bottom (5836) and watching a
ECC81 12AT7 MULLARD MOTTLED GLASS VALVE TUBE 1PC supposed to be very old. tubes are not that cheap over my side of the pond though,thats if you want vintage (are they really the best). also watching a celestion V30,was tempted with the others you mentioned. but the import duty and postage makes them expensive,will have a look and see if there are any dealers over selling them speakers. is there still no need for any biasing with the tubes I'am getting or watching?
cheers ray

texasbloos

Thu May 08, 2014 6:18 pm

just a quick one yes I can buy them over here!!! now you got me thinking LOL

a1terrier

Fri May 09, 2014 7:26 am

Hi
I have an HT5R Head with an HTV112 cab. Swapped the preamp for a 12AY7 (Electro Harmonix) it certainly cuts the gain on the OD channel but the clean channel suffers a bit in the warmth.
The preamp is a little sod to get out, someone on here suggested using a rubber glove, which works but be careful to take note of how the pins are arranged so you can put the new one in exactly the same place. otherwise you risk bending the pins on the new tube
Put a Celestion V30 in my cab and it sounds fine, much easier job!!
Got both from Hotrox in Nottingham (I think)

thephantum

Fri May 09, 2014 2:44 pm

If you change the power tube (12BH7) you will have to rebias. If you are just changing the preamp tube, then you will not have to rebias.

texasbloos

Fri May 09, 2014 10:33 pm

Hi Will I have to rebias when I'am putting a 12BH7A Tung-Sol USA # NOS # coint bottom (5836) to replace the original 12BH7 ?
cheers ray

thephantum

Sat May 10, 2014 2:37 am

Yes. That's the power tube, so the amp will need to be rebiased.

texasbloos

Sat May 10, 2014 12:54 pm

hey guys thanks for your reply's and helpful info: I'am sure other people will be gaining useful info to,I don't have a manual for the HT-5r and more the point it might not even mention something about biasing tube's. but does the HT-5r have somewhere to tune the rebias to via a meter/probe. if not then i will have to get a probe and adjustment tool to do the job. UK guy's anybody bought one over here?

cheers ray

PeteM

Fri Oct 24, 2014 5:11 pm

I have an HT-5RC, (12 inch speaker model) I double up the speaker with a 112 Cab. I play a Les Paul through some Boss pedals. I felt it could all have a bit more wallop. Not much room in the combo for a change of speaker, but I've just put in a Celestion V30 (16 ohm) into the extension cab and also got a Tung Sol pre amp tube and a EH output tube, both gold pins. Defo improvement, need to try it at full tilt, practice on Monday and gig Saturday but first signs are pretty encouraging. At home practice levels, I'd say that the preamp valve made most differance, once we get things popping, we'll see.

• Information