Is this normal? HT5R

General Discussion Forum - Voice The Sound In Your Head
Steve247

Wed Jul 10, 2019 2:06 pm

Hi

Recently bought brand new combo amp ht5r and have a question regarding operation.

When I turn the power on (on the amp) there is no sound coming from the amp when i strum the guitar, there is a normal humming sound from the amp which I think is just the power running through it, but nothing at all when i strum a chord, however when I turn the standby on too, then sound comes out, is this normal or is there a fault here?

As mentioned it’s brand new and was bought as an investment so naturally I want to operate the amp the correct way, and not the wrong way, but first want to know if this is normal or if there’s a fault somewhere.

Many thanks

pearsonrj

Thu Jul 11, 2019 3:29 am

Have you read the instruction manual? If you turn the power on, the amp is in standby - no sound from the speakers. If you flick the standby switch so that it is in the same position as the (on) power switch, the amp is now fully on (preamp AND power amp) and you will get sound out of the speaker.

Steve247

Thu Jul 11, 2019 8:36 am

Firstly thank you for your information, I did read the very basic manual which did not mention you must engage standby in order for the amp to become fully on.

I rang the shop I bought it from yesterday and was told by someone that you only engage the standby if you want to go away from the amp for a while and return later without turning it off, (to save wear and tear of turning the amp on and off).

He said it sounds like a fault if you turn power on and no sound comes out, obviously this is incorrect as you have told me you must engage both power and standby in order for amp to be fully on.

One question...so if I’m playing and want to go away for half hour and come back to it, would I just leave it fully on?

Thanks

Gibby339

Thu Jul 11, 2019 2:32 pm

Did you read the actual manual, or just the "Quick Start" guide? The Quick Start guide is pretty useless for information.

From the manual:

"14. Standby
This switch enables the operation of the power amp stage and speaker output. Always turn this on at least 30 seconds after the Power switch (15). For silent recording or practise this switch should be put in the standby position. This will disable the power stage, but the emulated output will continue to work.
15. Power
This switch is used to turn the amplifier on and off. You should always turn this switch on before turning on the Standby switch (14)."

Using the amp in Standby mode (Power ON, Standby OFF) allows you to use the preamp silently for recording or playing with headphones.

If you're taking a break from playing for an extended period of time you should put the amp on Standby. This will turn off the power amp and save wear on the tubes and the amp. These amps tend to get a little hot when playing (especially on the OD channel).

Lots of people have had heat-related issues with these amps (parts burning out). Hard to say if it's related to leaving the amp on for extended periods of time (playing or not). But better safe than sorry, right?

Steve247

Thu Jul 11, 2019 8:30 pm

Hi
Thanks for reply!

I read the only booklet that came with it which I guess was the quick start.

Bit confused on what you said...If you're taking a break from playing for an extended period of time you should put the amp on Standby. This will turn off the power amp and save wear on the tubes and the amp. These amps tend to get a little hot when playing (especially on the OD channel).

Standby would already be on as would the power when I play, as I don’t use headphones or record silently, so basically I just leave it both switches on? If leaving for extended period...lastly when powering off for storage after finished playing do I just turn both off or is there a particular order that you should power off the amp?

Many thanks

Gibby339

Thu Jul 11, 2019 9:40 pm

I think this may be one of the reasons why Blackstar chose to remove the Standby switch on the MKII line of amps lol.... The wording can get confusing.

In the context of Standby Mode, when the switch is in the "OFF" position, then the amp will be in Standby mode (the manual calls this the "Standby position"). The preamp is on (controlled by the power switch) but the power amp is off (controlled by the Standby switch). You can still use the amp via the emulated out/headphone jack but you're only using the preamp.

When the switch is in the "ON" position, then amp is no longer in Standby mode. The power amp and speaker are now active.

In other words, when you are playing, turn both switches to the "ON" position. The manual says to turn the power switch on first, wait 30 seconds, and then turn the Standby switch to "ON".

When taking a break, you can simply turn Standby to "OFF", which will turn the power amp off. You can leave the power on (preamp) if you choose to.

When turning the amp off, I don't think you have to do it in any specific order but I usually turn it off in the opposite order of turning it on. So I turn the Standby to "OFF", then the power to "OFF".

Steve247

Fri Jul 12, 2019 3:38 pm

Thank you for that, very concise explanation (ever thought of writing manuals) haha.

Yes that was what confused me, now I get it now it’s been explained in a logical way.

Thanks again appreciate your time !

Regards steve

Gibby339

Fri Jul 12, 2019 4:33 pm

No problem, glad I could help :)

• Information