ID Core 40 wont power up after firmware upgrade

General Discussion Forum - Voice The Sound In Your Head
instructor57

Wed Jan 13, 2016 11:17 am

Hello there,
bought my ID core 40 in the new year.
Just connected to insider and advised to do a firmware upgrade (all instructions followed)
recieved firmware upgrade succesfull message .
all lights on amp went out and it will not power up again.
anyone familiar with this and has it been seen before?
Thanks.

Update :-
After a less than helpful responce from Blackstar support (claiming this issue had not been seen before) and telling me to ring the shop where i bought it ! i then rang the shop. Salop music centre Shrewsbury.

THEY were extreamly helpfull and sorted the issue out.
They updated an amplifier for me on the premessis and exchanged it for my faulty one.
Blackstar admitted to them that the issue was known about.

Five stars to Salop music centre Shrewsbury .
No stars to Blackstar !!

NathanOrgan

Fri Jan 22, 2016 7:53 pm

Same problem. I also live in Shrewsbury so I'll take mine tomorrow. Cheers for the help.

stratboydave

Sat May 28, 2016 6:30 pm

Anyone figure out the secret code or sequence to wake up the dead amp? I've had two in a row now, ID Core 20 although I don't think it matters what version of this model. Too bad, sounded pretty sweet before the "upgrade". Being in the high tech business I'm used to software upgrades with bugs but completely dead? Twice? Thinking maybe try another brand now. I've been playing for 40 years, lots of tubes, you name it, wanted a nice, light, little GG amp, guess not. For a new player as a starter amp this would probably turn them off to BS for life. You only get one chance to make a good impression BS. You've blown it many times based on the posts on this forum. Lack of support when there are problems makes it even worse.

lurkalot

Sun May 29, 2016 9:17 am

stratboydave wrote:Anyone figure out the secret code or sequence to wake up the dead amp? I've had two in a row now, ID Core 20 although I don't think it matters what version of this model. Too bad, sounded pretty sweet before the "upgrade". Being in the high tech business I'm used to software upgrades with bugs but completely dead? Twice? Thinking maybe try another brand now. I've been playing for 40 years, lots of tubes, you name it, wanted a nice, light, little GG amp, guess not. For a new player as a starter amp this would probably turn them off to BS for life. You only get one chance to make a good impression BS. You've blown it many times based on the posts on this forum. Lack of support when there are problems makes it even worse.
To be honest, I think with the number of failures after updating the firmware on these amps they would have published it somewhere by now. I really like my ID:Core 40 but it's now a couple of years old, so no chance of getting it replaced if BS's firmware update kills my amp. They really shouldn't be tempting us into upgrading the firmware to gain new features if doing this is likely to kill it.

I also think, and I've said this before, they should make the firmware update completely separate from Insider. Insider prompts you to install the firmware when you go to use it. You should also be able to drop the firmware update onto a memory stick, and plug that in to update, thus removing the risk of using the wrong type of USB port on your computer.

That all said, their disclaimer at the bottom of the manual kind of has them covered, and basically lets them off the hook.

sergiohsantos

Fri Jun 03, 2016 3:07 am

I am experiencing the same situation... Today, after install the last firmware version, my amp stoped working, no lights, no song, just don't power back on. I've sent an e-mail to Blackstar a feel minutes ago, I hope they solve this problem and inform us how to power back on the amplifier :oops:

I saw some of you saying that was necessary to change your amps, but my amp is not in the warranty... Blackstar, help me !!! This is ridiculous

cxg2

Sat Jun 25, 2016 7:20 pm

I got my amp from sam ash not too long ago. It was good for a while, and then out of no where issue starting popping up. I began to notice rattleing and vibrations from low frequency notes. Then whenever I would put the volume over about 50% more rattleing. It is very annoying. Sam Ash has replaced my amp twice with new ones, and the same thing happens every time. Not sure what is going on...
More recently, the power cord started acting up. Now the amp will only power up if the cord is at precisely the correct angle. Everything is so stressful and sam ash says they can't help me and that I should try and contact Blackstar directly.

Im curious, have there been any recalls for the ID Core series guitar amplifiers?

P.S. By the way, I had no idea that you could update these amps with the Insider program. Just downloaded it. Im gonna go do some stuff with it now.

Anyways, I'd appreciate some guidance and wisdom on this issue I'm facing. Thank you.

BeppuxRome

Sun Nov 27, 2016 6:06 pm

NO MORE BLACKSTAR!! Even I have said the same things from Blackstar customer service. Of course being out of warranty do I have to pay any repair, resulting in loss of time and money? ... All this for an "official" software defect issued by Blackstar? Impractical, absurd and unbelievable. We realize that this claim for their mistake we must overcome us to the problem? my ID-CORE 40 amps, is out of warranty, always worked well and I have to throw it because I decided to update it? I work every day like IT, know well the various practices update and downgrade and I upgraded my amplifier with a macbook pro (2015), certificate usb cable attached to one of the USB ports powered not by the battery. recognized amplifier immediately, ok firmware update, restart…and after death ... tell me where I went wrong. Now I have a dead amplifier, should I buy some another (never Blackstar), and if I wanted to fix it I have to do it at my money for a problem that caused me directly the official firmware update Blackstar ... it seems normal? I will do everything to discourage the purchase to any person I know (and in Rome we have a lots of musicians), why do not you take around so people. We are all customers and we have spent money, those few...those many... but if you exist only thanks to us. NO MORE BLACKSTAR

Yiotis

Tue Jan 10, 2017 9:22 am

I am experiencing the same situation... Today, after install the last firmware version, my amp stoped working, no lights, no song, just don't power back on.
My amp ID CORE STEREO 40 IS DEAD.

Sbeggs

Sat Dec 09, 2017 9:42 pm

Just bought a ID core 100 and I decided to download insider after a month of having a brand new amp one update killed it. No customer support from black star either. I’m never going to go back to this company and would never advise friends to go to them. Very disappointed on blackstars end.

rodtod423

Tue Dec 19, 2017 6:46 am

Happened to me 2 hours after I got it. Saw the prompt, killed the amp. Bought a Code 50.

• Information