Seeking alternative to the HT-5's dull sounding cabs

Discussion - HT-5 amplifiers.
WDeranged

Fri Jun 29, 2012 3:40 pm

I've ordered the G12T and paid extra for weekend delivery, ultimately I picked it because I'm a fan of the more glassy Marshall sounds, hopefully that will translate nicely to the HT-5, I'll post an update tomorrow.

WDeranged

Sun Jul 01, 2012 1:40 am

It's been a long day, I got home with my G12T-75 around 4pm and had two hours to fit it and play it but I ran into an issue with one of the thin bolts in the cab, the nut was somehow totally seized to it, forcing the nut resulted in the particleboard crumbling where the other end of the bolt sits in it's slot...

Long story short, I ended up doing a fair bit of damage to the cab getting the old speaker out, I don't know if chipboard comes in grades but this stuff is ghastly, a few nails and some wood glue got it back into some kind of shape but I had to go out for a meal so I left it to dry. I got back home around 10pm and started putting it all back together, I couldn't play too loudly but I immediately heard the more detailed top end, the bass punch is also greatly improved, then my neighbours started punching my door and I had a blistering row with them in the street :evil:

Anyhoo, I'm being really quiet now, looking at the amp wishing I could really give these speakers a test drive but even at gnat's whisper levels the HT-5 is finally delivering what I wanted, I expect it will only sound better when I get to turn it up :D

IM4Tone

Sun Jul 01, 2012 6:44 am

Crank it up tomorrow and let us know how you like it :)

minerman

Sun Jul 01, 2012 3:52 pm

I finally pulled the trigger on an extension cab for my HT-5 combo. I picked this cab, purely for the Greenback speaker. I originally wanted a Vintage 30, but opted for the Greenback, as it'd probably give me a more classic/vintage sound. The cab will be here Tuesday, so I'm waiting patiently, or trying to anyway :lol: ......pretty stoked about it. I also bought a 30' cable, so I can move the cab/mic into another room, & be able to tweak the amp's tone/volume while monitoring through the daw's monitors/headphones......

I'm sure the Greenback will be an improvement over the stock Blackstar speaker. The Blackbird isn't terrible, just not the sound I'm after.......

I still plan on buying another cab in the future with a V30, along with another low watt amp (or two)......

Clips to follow Tuesday, as I'm on vacation all week, & will actually have time to do some playing/recording.......

BobZ

Sat Jul 07, 2012 7:04 pm

It comes down to Birch or Pine as to what the cabinet is made of..... The general thought is that birch is for more of a direct, heavier, more modern sound.... Pine is thought of as being more vintage.... Fender cabinets in the 50s and 60s were pine.... Most cabs used for metal music are birch from what I have read....

So pick a empty cabinet based on what music you like and then pick the speaker for it the same way.....

As far as the pine... I'm contemplating getting an unfinished cabinet from... http://www.trmguitarcabs.com/

and just finishing it myself... I just started messing around with dyes and shellac ... If you finish it yourself you have total control over what the end result will be....

IM4Tone

Sat Jul 07, 2012 7:13 pm

BobZ
Thanks for the link to the speaker cab builder. May come in handy in the future.

BobZ

Sat Jul 07, 2012 8:55 pm

Your welcome.... What got me started on getting a cabinet separate from the speakers was that I was looking at a Mesa cabinet.. super nice but it came with 2 speakers that I wasn't interested in.... Mesa said that it wouldn't be worth it to get a discount on the cabinet without the speakers... they just wouldn't give enough of a break on the cabinet if it came without speakers....

So they lost a sale because of the inflexibility.... If I got it with their speakers (Celestion specials) I would then have to sell them on Ebay or Craigs list and I just didn't want to deal with it......

Another good place for empty cabinets is..... http://www.lopoline.com/

Before MojoTone bought them 2 years ago I bough 2 1x12 cabinets from them.... Can't say how the customer service is now but back then it was very good....

The Lopoline cabinets are Baltic Birch... they aren't SUPER heavy duty... more for the home enthusiast and occasional gigger than the professional but for me they are perfect..... heavy duty enough....

IM4Tone

Sun Jul 08, 2012 5:36 am

Yep, Lopoline are great cabs. I have a 2X12 vertical slant w/ a V30 and G12H. Bought it during their 'Black Friday' sale where they give 30% off.

BobZ

Sun Jul 08, 2012 3:52 pm

I have been looking at that Lopo Vertical slant for awhile... then I saw the unfinished pine version...

http://www.ebay.com/sch/wolfgang2204/m. ... 4340.l2562

I have to weigh out the cost difference.... and the fact that the Lopo has the side recessed handles...

If I hadn't stated messing around with finishing wood it would be easy to get the Lopo... but I could really trick out this unfinished pine one... TransTint dye .. shellac, french polishing.... make it look like a museum piece.... This Transtint dye on bare wood is great...

http://www.homesteadfinishingproducts.c ... nsTint.htm

http://www.joewoodworker.com/transtints.htm

IM4Tone

Sun Jul 08, 2012 4:25 pm

Also, I think it depends if you are frequently gigging. The soft wood (pine) is likely to get marred with lots of transporting. Carpet or tolex is more forgiving. I think I'd try the tung oil mixed w/ a dark stain....touch-up should be fairly easy when (not if) I 'dinged' it. :shock:

• Information