Seeking alternative to the HT-5's dull sounding cabs

Discussion - HT-5 amplifiers.
WDeranged

Thu Sep 27, 2012 12:36 am

majikmojo wrote:i agree completely WD - i can cleary hear the "jingle" in the clean channel on the 18 - sounds purty really
and the crunch is very good also
and as you say the 5 gets it with "marshal heavy" gain (sorta)
i can also hear a little more darkness in the B/S and i like that too but it could be the HK cab
the 18 does sound a tad bright to me but contollable
gotta give to HK for looks though - that thing is sexy...lol

octane - i have my eye on a JVM210H in the 50watt range...so far i like what i see and hear
Yeah the brightness could be an issue for high gain stuff, you can't just jump in and find a sound straight away like you can with the low/medium gain, I need to spend a few more days playing around with the settings but I've also looked into changing the tubes and I'm reading good things from people who ditched the stock Chinese ones.

antiq

Thu Sep 27, 2012 7:52 am

Been looking for a good cab for my HT-5RH as well. I tried an Orange 1x12" cab (v30) just the other day, and it felt solid and a good piece of work, but somehow sounded boxy, honky and hollow for some reason. It wasn't quite what I had expected from a v30 cab. It was cheap-ish though (~250 euros). I then plugged the head in a Bogner 4x12" cab for a comparison, and whoa - huge wall of sound. But.. it still didn't sound very good. The speakers were v30's as well, and the price range (1200 euros) places the cab right there at the topmost high end. There wasn't enough treble bite and the bass felt unfocused for some reason. Lots better than the Orange though (and very different of course, due to a big increase in air volume moved by four speakers).

I have an old Marshall combo at home, of which I had changed the crappy stock speaker to the elusive v30 a bit earlier. The tone at home, through this makeshift cabinet, was disturbingly similar to those high end cabinets at the store. Nothing special. in other words, and definitely not as praiseworthy as the reviews have us believe. I then decided to try cabs with different speakers altogether, something not as middley and nasty as the v30 - G12T-75 it is. But before I got to try out any, I spoke to a salesperson at a store about the general design of cabinets, and he explained the Mesa cabinets are the tits - engineered and over-engineered for the ultimate tone. (They are Mesa dealers, what a coincidence) I was given a chance to grab the last Stiletto 2x12" cab at the warehouse at a nice 50% discount, due to the discontinuation of the Stiletto line. The cab arrived yesterday and the tone is absolutely incredible. I could not believe what a difference a cab makes to overall feel and tone. And it has v30's! Very detailed tone with a crisp treble and deep but defined bass. I can now dial in what's very much like the Rectifier high gain tone, which I consider the epitome of metal tone. And this is without pedals. I did swap the preamp tube to a Tung-Sol as per forum suggestions, which may have contributed a bit to the high end response.

Crunchifyable

Thu Sep 27, 2012 9:02 am

antiq wrote:Been looking for a good cab for my HT-5RH as well. I tried an Orange 1x12" cab (v30) just the other day, and it felt solid and a good piece of work, but somehow sounded boxy, honky and hollow for some reason. It wasn't quite what I had expected from a v30 cab. It was cheap-ish though (~250 euros). I then plugged the head in a Bogner 4x12" cab for a comparison, and whoa - huge wall of sound. But.. it still didn't sound very good. The speakers were v30's as well, and the price range (1200 euros) places the cab right there at the topmost high end. There wasn't enough treble bite and the bass felt unfocused for some reason. Lots better than the Orange though (and very different of course, due to a big increase in air volume moved by four speakers).

I have an old Marshall combo at home, of which I had changed the crappy stock speaker to the elusive v30 a bit earlier. The tone at home, through this makeshift cabinet, was disturbingly similar to those high end cabinets at the store. Nothing special. in other words, and definitely not as praiseworthy as the reviews have us believe. I then decided to try cabs with different speakers altogether, something not as middley and nasty as the v30 - G12T-75 it is. But before I got to try out any, I spoke to a salesperson at a store about the general design of cabinets, and he explained the Mesa cabinets are the tits - engineered and over-engineered for the ultimate tone. (They are Mesa dealers, what a coincidence) I was given a chance to grab the last Stiletto 2x12" cab at the warehouse at a nice 50% discount, due to the discontinuation of the Stiletto line. The cab arrived yesterday and the tone is absolutely incredible. I could not believe what a difference a cab makes to overall feel and tone. And it has v30's! Very detailed tone with a crisp treble and deep but defined bass. I can now dial in what's very much like the Rectifier high gain tone, which I consider the epitome of metal tone. And this is without pedals. I did swap the preamp tube to a Tung-Sol as per forum suggestions, which may have contributed a bit to the high end response.
Actually, it's not the cab. Mesa uses different V30s that are take a bit off the harsh upper mids / high end of the v30.

WDeranged

Mon Oct 01, 2012 12:13 am

I just thought I'd update after living with the Tubemeister for a few days, it's definitely doing what I want, it behaves more like I expect and I can generally get the sound I'm looking for in minutes, I still think the Blackstar lets you jump right into a better high gain sound but with fine tweaking I can get a comparable sound from the H&K.

I've also noticed far less interference (like my heater kicking in) coming through the amp, maybe something to do with the hefty transformers in the Tubemeister, my only concern is that the gain knob on the lead channel has a slight wobble, I might get the supplier to ship a replacement but I usually end up with more problems than I started with when I get fussy.

WDeranged

Thu Oct 11, 2012 5:28 am

I decided to get the matching Tubemeister cab and I've ended up putting the Blackstar cabs on ebay, my HT-5 sold a few days ago so I think it's safe to say that I've moved on, it's a shame the Blackstar couldn't give me what I wanted as the price is so reasonable.

Anyway the Tubemeister 112 has the same V30 as my Blackstar 112 but the sound is far more refined and punchy, I think it's mostly down to the closed back and solid wood, the shrill highs have been smoothed out nicely too :)

• Information