Seeking alternative to the HT-5's dull sounding cabs

Discussion - HT-5 amplifiers.
WDeranged

Wed Jun 27, 2012 1:44 am

I've had my HT-5r mini stack for about a year and I just can't make myself like the cabs, the more I turn up the volume the more cardboardy and raucous they sound, I don't have much experience with cabs so I'd love some advice, I typically like the brighter Marshall/Fender sounds but these 12" Blackbird speakers make all my guitars sound the same, a dull, boxy headache.

a 2x12 would probably be my limit, I saw Ola Englund totally smoking with the HT-5 and a Mesa Roadster cab on youtube but I really can't afford to spend that much...I probably will if I have to but I'd really rather not Image

78eGsy5tFPA <--paste that into youtube for the video, he has a couple on there with the HT-5 but I'm sure everyone knows about it by now :D

IM4Tone

Wed Jun 27, 2012 2:56 am

So why not swap out speakers in the cabs? Lots of choices. I like to mix speakers so the characteristics of each complements the other. I like (and use) WGS Retro 30 combined with a Reaper HP http://wgs4.com/all-products
or a Celestion V30 with a G12H http://celestion.com/category/4/guitar/size/3/12%22/
The WGS are around 1/2 the price of the Celestions ($70 vs. $145). The WGS website has sound demos, but for the Celestions, you'll have to do a search on Youtube for sounds. Even though the two WGS I have are billed as being the counterparts to the Celestions I have, they sound different. WGS are not as bright and tend to sound grittier (in a good way). I like both but it depends on your music and budget.

Lots of negative comments regarding Blackbirds and Celestion Rocket. I never played thru a Blackbird, but think the Rocket is horrible! With speakers you usually get what you pay for (although the Celestions are somewhat over-priced IMO....great sound, but $$$$)

Eminence makes some good ones too. http://www.eminence.com/support/tone-guide/ Don't buy a speaker for its price. Buy it for its sound. :D

WDeranged

Wed Jun 27, 2012 3:41 am

Yeah I can't get over how bad the blackbird speaker sounds, they were passable at first but once you get to know them they really start to stink, I don't mean to insult whoever it was at Blackstar who "custom voiced" them but jeez.

I never even thought about replacing the speaker though, thanks for giving me a slap around the head, a new world of obsessive youtube trawling awaits :D

MetalOctane

Wed Jun 27, 2012 7:15 am

I plan on replacing the blackbirds in my mini, don't like them at all. When I do, I am going ask the speaker manufacturer (WGS or Scumback) if it would be a good idea to close the backs of the cabinets while I'm at it.

WDeranged

Wed Jun 27, 2012 1:56 pm

Closed vs open backs is something that has occurred to me too, for the moment I've ordered a single V30, I'm looking forward to seeing what happens Image

Am I correct in thinking that the higher wattage of the v30 means I'll have to drive the amp harder for the same amount of volume? I'm actually hoping this will be the case as the HT-5 mini stack is too damn loud for my small living room.

Bigsmudger

Wed Jun 27, 2012 2:54 pm

No - that's not gonna have that effect. The V30's are more sensitive speakers and a vast improvement on the Rockets and Blackbirds.
If anything, you may find you need to turn the amp down a bit as they are noticeably louder.

The V30 I put in my HT20 sounds superb - the difference between that and the Rocket 50 is like night and day and it's still not broken in yet. :twisted:

WDeranged

Wed Jun 27, 2012 3:06 pm

Ah well as long as it sounds great when it's loud I don't mind so much, the blackbirds just don't seem to have much treble response, on the gain channel my SG and Strat sound nearly identical, the clean channel not so much but there's still this muffle blanket over the sound.

majikmojo

Wed Jun 27, 2012 4:50 pm

sorry but blackbirds suck....just my .02 - lol

IM4Tone

Wed Jun 27, 2012 5:09 pm

Bigsmudger wrote:No - that's not gonna have that effect. The V30's are more sensitive speakers and a vast improvement on the Rockets and Blackbirds.
If anything, you may find you need to turn the amp down a bit as they are noticeably louder.

The V30 I put in my HT20 sounds superb - the difference between that and the Rocket 50 is like night and day and it's still not broken in yet. :twisted:
^^^ +100%
You're gonna love the V30. Image Then, get yourself a G12H for the other cab. They compliment each other well.
Be sure to let us know your feelings on the V30 after you've given it a thorough test.

MetalOctane

Wed Jun 27, 2012 5:22 pm

majikmojo wrote:sorry but blackbirds suck....just my .02 - lol

100% correct :!:

• Information