HT5 tubes?

Discussion - HT-5 amplifiers.
sizzlingbadger

Wed Nov 10, 2010 11:43 pm

I've just ordered a couple of Tung Sol 12AX7 reissues from E-Bay, we'll see how they go. I find the HT-5 a bit Muddy so I'm hoping this will brighten it up a little.

ezietsman

Tue Feb 01, 2011 4:23 pm

So I installed a JJ 12ax7 in my HT5 Combo today. I was expecting a a big difference but the actual difference is not day and night. Its a bit smoother and ever so slightly darker. The cleans have improved and I can swear the amp is a bit louder. Overall the slight change is fine by me, I now have spare preamp and power valve. Not sure if I'll try a Tung-Sol, maybe I'll order one along with the JJ set when I get my HT40 soon :D

darkirish

Tue Feb 01, 2011 9:57 pm

For me it a Sovtek 12AX7 LPS and a TAD 12BH7 A (the stock tube in my HT-5) and it just sound awesome.

pixel

Sun Apr 03, 2011 5:32 pm

I swapped the pre tube with a mesa boogie SPAX7-A just to see how it would sound and I have to say it's not bad, not as much treble as the stock tube, adds a hair of mud to the sound that can easily be EQ'd out with the built in controls. Over all a little darker and more Gain is present with overdrive. Honestly anybody changing the pre tube thinking it's going make a huge difference will be wasting money on other tubes. It will always be a slight difference in sound but it's enough to hear it. I have a few other tubes laying around I may try for fun in particular a ruby 12AX7AC5 HG+

Ok so far, the stock pre tube sovtek is decent but it depends what kind of guitar you use with it, I find it ok for higher output pickups like an emg, over all a little harsh for my ears, highs are bit too much.

The Ruby listed above is more of the same really, sounds like crap

The mesa tube actually sounds to best over all, removes the harshness and is warmer sounding.

I am going to order a Reissue Tungsol 12AX7 and a Sovtek 12AX7LPS to see how those sound, I hear the first one is really good, well see.

so I got the Tung Sol reissue, honestly not much different than the sovtek, if anything more muddy. Of the tubes tried so far the only one that really made a huge difference was the mesa boogie, more of a compressed sound.
Last edited by pixel on Sat Apr 23, 2011 4:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BobZ

Sat Apr 09, 2011 2:14 am

pixel wrote:I swapped the pre tube with a mesa boogie SPAX7-A just to see how it would sound and I have to say it's not bad, not as much treble as the stock tube, adds a hair of mud to the sound that can easily be EQ'd out with the built in controls. Over all a little darker and more Gain is present with overdrive. Honestly anybody changing the pre tube thinking it's going make a huge difference will be wasting money on other tubes. It will always be a slight difference in sound but it's enough to hear it. I have a few other tubes laying around I may try for fun in particular a ruby 12AX7AC5 HG+

Ok so far, the stock pre tube sovtek is decent but it depends what kind of guitar you use with it, I find it ok for higher output pickups like an emg, over all a little harsh for my ears, highs are bit too much.

The Ruby listed above is more of the same really, sounds like crap

The mesa tube actually sounds to best over all, removes the harshness and is warmer sounding.

I am going to order a Reissue Tungsol 12AX7 and a Sovtek 12AX7LPS to see how those sound, I hear the first one is really good, well see.

I replaced the stock 12BH7 with an RCA NOS 12BH7 and the stock 12AX7 with an NOS Telefunken.... ECC83... (12ax7)....

Its much clearer and deeper... almost like a cover or blanket was taken off the amp... but the Telefunken dosen't seem to add any of its own color...
it just makes what it there deeper almost 3-D like.... very happy with it..

pixel

Sat Apr 09, 2011 12:59 pm

The NOS Telefunken.... ECC83... (12ax7).... can you show me which one you got? I find many online and some are expensive lol.

BobZ

Sat Apr 09, 2011 3:17 pm

pixel wrote:The NOS Telefunken.... ECC83... (12ax7).... can you show me which one you got? I find many online and some are expensive lol.
Its similar to these....

http://cgi.ebay.com/2-Vintage-Telefunken-12ax7-Ecc83-Ribbed-Stereo-Tubes-/180649993887?pt=Vintage_Electronics_R2&hash=item2a0f94269f[u

I paid 58.00 for it. It has the TeleFunken logo, has the bluish cast to the bottom of the tube and the diamond notch in the glass on the bottom.

I met the seller. I would buy from him again. I also got the RCA 12bh7 from him....

I have dual tube overdrive pedal that I'm thinking of upgrading the tubes in.... I was thinking of the either the RCAs or the Mullards for that...

The reason I went with the Telefunken in the HT-5 is because I thought that as Blackstar has its roots from Marshall ... I wanted something that complemented the Marshall sound... On one of the forums it said that the old Marshalls from the 60s used Telefunkens or Mullards....

So in reading another forum it described in good detail the sonic differences.... Its said that the Telefunkens were transparent and almost 3D like that didn't add too much (or any) of its own sound..... and that the Mullards were like a warm English tweed jacket.... adding a noticeable degree of warmth...

So I went with the Telefunkens to try and stay as Marshall sounding as possible.... I might get a Mullard just to compare and see which one I like best...

When using the clean channel of the HT-5 with my overdrive pedal ... a Damage Control Liquid BLues I was able to get real good Fendery sounds out of it... so then I thought as an upgrade to the tubes in that.... I should probably go with what Fender used back in the day which from what I read was predominately RCAs.....

The thought being that by using the HT-5 footswitch I can go from the Fendery sounds I get through the overdrive pedal and then bypass the overdrive and hit the HT-5 footswitch which will get me to the sound of a Marshall..... the only slight negative is that because both the clean and gain channels share the EQ of the amp its the same EQ for both sounds... but for me its not a big deal.....

BobZ

Sat Apr 09, 2011 3:39 pm

[quote="BobZ"][quote="pixel"]The NOS Telefunken.... ECC83... (12ax7).... can you show me which one you got?

You can save a bit of money by getting a Telefunken tube that was made for somebody else .... so a a tube made by Telefunken tube with a Fisher label is usually less... than with a Telefunken label.... all things else being the same.... testing results etc....

There is a lot of good information here...

http://www.audiotubes.com/nos.htm

http://www.audiotubes.com/12ax7.htm

http://www.marshallforum.com/marshall-a ... 12ax7.html

pixel

Tue Apr 12, 2011 6:21 pm

darkirish wrote:For me it a Sovtek 12AX7 LPS and a TAD 12BH7 A (the stock tube in my HT-5) and it just sound awesome.
The stock tube is not a Sovtek 12AX7 LPS, it's a 12AX7WA, did you mean the 12BH7 is stock but you changed the WA to the LPS and if so how do you like the LPS? I ordered a tung Sol re-issue, will be here tomorrow, looking forward to hearing that.

• Information