Getting the HT-1R high gain sound from a pedal

Discussion - HT-1 amplifiers
deanproxy

Sat May 19, 2012 12:33 am

So, I love the overdrive channel on the HT-1. To me, it sounds rich and hard. However, there are some songs I play that switch between a clean sound and a distorted/overdriven sound. I have a Boss SD-1 Overdrive pedal that I was using. However, using it on the HT-1RH seems to really chop out the lows. It provides some good smooth crunch, but it's like I took the Low setting on the amp and turned it down as low as it could go without cutting out completely. It's really weird. But, there is an extreme lack of bass when it kicks in.

Since the HT-1 does not have foot switch capability, I'm trying to find a good pedal that can mimic the overdrive channel on this amp as closely as possible. My ceiling limit on budget is $100, so I can't really get any nifty boutique type pedals. I'm wondering if the Boss DS-1 Distortion pedal may help? I have never used one and have mostly used amp gains/overdrive channels or the Boss SD-1 Overdrive pedal. However, with the HT-1, it just seems like a pedal is my only choice here...

Any suggestions to mimic that nice Blackstar overdrive tone with a pedal?

Bigsmudger

Sat May 19, 2012 4:34 pm

A way around that is to set up your pickups so your bridge is up full and your neck is on low so it cleans up.
Playing clean you're on the neck p/up, wanna give it the beans - just flick the switch and you're off.

You are unlikely to get it quite as clean as you would on the proper channel but I find it works well for the small amount of clean I need.

A DS1 should work but I would think the SD1 should as well. Could try running an EQ in front?

deanproxy

Sat May 19, 2012 4:55 pm

Last night I figured "What the heck, try a DS-1 out". I figured if I didn't like it, I could return it the next day and besides, it was only $45.

I know people kind of talk down a lot about the DS-1, but I have to say, I like it. I like it better than the SD-1 Overdrive. I felt like the SD-1 sounded "fake" since it seemed to scoop out the lows a lot. It sounded compressed and not in a good way. The DS-1 seems to just add the distortion somewhat similar to what I was looking for; more like a high gain amp. I'm sure there are better sounding distortion pedals out there, but for the money, this pedal seems great!

Bigsmudger

Sun May 20, 2012 8:47 am

Does exactly what it says on the tin - can't really fault 'em esp. for the money.
A lot of pros use 'em.

Tried pushing the OD channel on my HT1 with my DS1 recently. Sounded good for a small amp.

crowhue

Tue Jun 12, 2012 8:45 pm

The HT-DIST would seem to be the logical choice if you want the amp in a pedal. It makes any amp sound Blackstar-ish.

LonePhantom

Wed Jun 13, 2012 12:11 am

I've managed to modify a Boss MT-2 Metal Zone to sound very similar to my HT-5. The MT-2 sounds amazingly good now. You can pick up an MT-2 pretty damned cheap second hand, and it's only a few $$$ in parts to modify it. There's another option for you. I have the mods on my blog. ;)

Steve Mavronis

Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:31 am

This is my delima too and has been holding me off buying either the HT1R or HT5R. My overdrive pedal is a grey spec 250 overdrive that I hand built. If I want to use it on the HT5 there is no amp gain on the clean channel to get it near breakup before I turn on my overdrive pedal to work the preamp tube. On the HT1 the amp gain works on both channels so maybe that's my best bet. I really wanted the HT5 for all the extra features but don't think its gain knob can be set low enough to do clean on the overdrive channel. What do you think with your experience using pedals on this amp?

Hmm... I guess on the clean channel of both the HT1 and HT5 it's still 'using' the amp's preamp tube in the signal path, just not amplified like when you engage the overdrive channel. So would using an overvdrive pedal on the clean channel just act like an external 'substitute' for the amp's overdrive channel circuitry in order to boost the clean channel into true tube overdrive tones? Ironically the 250 pedal I cloned is labeled as a 'preamp' overdrive. I just don't want it to sound exactly the same as it does with my solid state amp. I mean the pedal itself sounds good, I just want to hear the preamp tube working so it doesn't sound solid state.

PTF

Thu Jan 31, 2013 12:15 pm

Steve

FWIW, I love running my HT-5 on the drive channel, with the gain control set so low it's only just 'kicking in' - in other words, turn it right down to zero, set the volume about half way, then turn up the gain just until there's sound. This gives me a stunning jangly clean sound just on the edge of break-up.

I bet if you stuck a drive pedal in front of that it would sound amazing!

BLACKJAC

Tue Feb 05, 2013 6:22 am

Instead of throwing dirt in there, you might consider using a booster to further push it a bit.

• Information