My first post and (doubtless unnecessary) question...

Discussion - HT Venue amplifiers. Inspiration from Studio to Stage.
pearsonrj

Tue Jun 07, 2011 5:14 am

Hello everyone,

I have been drooling over Blackstar gear for a year or so, and as I am starting a backline rental business I decided to buy a Stage 100 Head and HT-60 combo to rent out. I recently received them (the UPS delivery of the HT-60 was terrible, the box was torn up and the foam padding broken up - a whole 'nother story) - and I've been trying them out.

Anyway - to my question - I've been playing my Gibson Les Paul thru the HT-60 and I noticed some break up on the clean channel with the channel volume at only 10 - 12 o'clock and the master volume at 9 o'clock, but with the guitar volume at 10 (max). If I roll back the guitar volume to 6 or 7 the break up disappears and I can turn up the master volume on the amp with no break up.

This is perfectly normal, right? I know Blackstar amps are not going to have Fender-like clean channels. I'm just trying to make sure the amp is running correctly and was not damaged in transit.

Thanks!

majikmojo

Tue Jun 07, 2011 12:15 pm

i never get breakup at those levels on the clean side - in fact i dont think i've ever had it loud enough to break up
i've the channel volume to 11 and the master to 10 and still clean as a whistle - that's why i like the 60 plenty of headroom
but then again i usually dont run my guitar wide open either

sizzlingbadger

Tue Jun 07, 2011 12:18 pm

Does the HT-60 have a "voice" switch for the clean channel like the HT-40?

On the HT-40 one voice is Fender clean and the other is more of a boutique sound that is supposed to break up as the volume is increased.

majikmojo

Tue Jun 07, 2011 1:06 pm

yes it does - and i use the "fender" mode most of the time for sparkle - maybe thats why i never noticed it
i usually just go to OD1 and dial the gain back to get light crunch

pearsonrj

Wed Jun 08, 2011 3:14 am

I guess I should have played with it a bit more before posting. The 'modern' (voice button in) voicing does give a lot more clean headroom, as the manual indicates. The 'boutique' voicing gives mild crunch quite quickly.

This is one flexible amp.

toddweller

Fri Jun 10, 2011 11:27 pm

You know the voicing option on the venue series is really done well. They have balanced the voicing to really work by just pressing the voice button. On the clean channel you can set a clean with some breakup when hit hard and just press the voice button and you have a matched clean that doesn't break up. Very nice. On some Mesa gear I've had the voicing was not balanced at all, so it wasn't useful in a gig situation. It would be nice to be able to foot switch the voicing on all channels but I can live with it the way it is.

JimJamAATG

Wed Jul 06, 2011 1:23 am

toddweller wrote:You know the voicing option on the venue series is really done well. They have balanced the voicing to really work by just pressing the voice button. On the clean channel you can set a clean with some breakup when hit hard and just press the voice button and you have a matched clean that doesn't break up. Very nice. On some Mesa gear I've had the voicing was not balanced at all, so it wasn't useful in a gig situation. It would be nice to be able to foot switch the voicing on all channels but I can live with it the way it is.
In my experience of the Stage60, the one foot-switchable voice isn't balanced either. The second voice of OD2 is way louder that Voice 1, rendering swapping between them at a gig useless.

• Information