NEWBIE QUESTION - My First Tube Amp - HT Stage 60

Discussion - HT Venue amplifiers. Inspiration from Studio to Stage.
Timotheus_k

Thu Feb 24, 2011 4:47 pm

Greetings All!

I am truly excited because scheduled for delivery today are two Blackstar HT Stage 60 amps.

These are the first tube amps I've ever owned, and this is the first time that I won't be using a digital pedal to go direct (I've used the Digitech GNX series since they have been around).

SO... THIS IS MY QUESTION:
Is there a place to check out a listing of some settings that people have tried and liked on the HT Stage 60?

I'm in a band called The Deepest Red with my brother, and one of the amps is for him, and one for me. We're excited to dial in our own unique tones, but wanted to see if there was some kind of thread with some suggested starting points.

Anything like that out there?

My Best,

Tim

www.MySpace.com/TheDeepestRed

Hendog

Thu Feb 24, 2011 5:17 pm

Hate to burst your bubble but it's not really a tube amp. The preamp is almost completely solid state.

Timotheus_k

Thu Feb 24, 2011 5:35 pm

Oh. Well I had no idea. All of the sales people I worked with and reviews called it a tube amp. That's something that was never mentioned to me...

eleloy

Thu Feb 24, 2011 7:48 pm

Hendog wrote:Hate to burst your bubble but it's not really a tube amp. The preamp is almost completely solid state.
can you explain it please? I thought it was all-tube amp....

ezietsman

Thu Feb 24, 2011 8:10 pm

Hendog wrote:Hate to burst your bubble but it's not really a tube amp. The preamp is almost completely solid state.
I see the 'Blackstar is almost completely solid-state' thing has reached this forum now too. Wonder where it comes from? I've seen multiple places where the designers have been quoted to say all clipping in these amps come from the tubes, the other goodies are there for other purposes.

KKND

Thu Feb 24, 2011 8:14 pm

Hi Tim,welcome to the forums and congratulation in advance.

The Stage 60 is a superb amp, its versatile, has good tonal characteristics and loud.

As any tube amp, and bring your first, it will take some time getting used to and to dial in your tone.

My first recommendation to you is to replace the pre amp tubes with better quality ones.

Depending on what you play and how loud, the settings may vary.

enjoy it.

keep us posted

apw100

Fri Feb 25, 2011 12:15 am

That is a silly statement and completely untrue. The Blackstar's have some opamps and other solid-state components in the pre-amp section, but they are not involved in clipping(according to Blackstar).
Perhaps you wouldn't consider a Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier a tube amp because is uses diode rectification? It has two options for rectification(hence the name), diode and tube. Most players use the diode option because it's "tighter".

Some people have called the HT series "hybrid" amps, but this really isn't true either. Hybrid amps typically have tube based preamps and solid state power sections(Marshall Valvestate, Vox AC30VR, etc). The HT series amps have both tube based pres and a tube power section.

Tube pre + tube power section= tube amp.

apw100

Fri Feb 25, 2011 2:57 am

Timotheus_k wrote:Greetings All!
Is there a place to check out a listing of some settings that people have tried and liked on the HT Stage 60?
Well, what type of music will you be playing?

Blackstar does provide a short list of recommended settings here...

http://www.blackstaramps.co.uk/products ... tings.html

auburnshredder

Fri Feb 25, 2011 6:27 pm

I agree with APW....this Blackstar HT - solid state bit is crap. It's a valve amp with some modern circuitry. Crank the preamp and master and tell me it's not a valve amp. I have compared my HT-20 side by side with my Soldano Astroverb, the HT rivals the Soldano in almost every way.

Timotheus_k

Fri Feb 25, 2011 6:44 pm

apw100 wrote:
Timotheus_k wrote:Greetings All!
Well, what type of music will you be playing?

Blackstar does provide a short list of recommended settings here...

http://www.blackstaramps.co.uk/products ... tings.html
apw100--

Thanks so much for the helpful list of settings! I appreciate it. That's exactly what I was looking for. I also found the blank sheet helpful so that I build my custom tones I can catalogue any noteworthy ones along the way. = )

In answer to your question, we play melodic, preogressive thrash metal. (I know that sounds a bit counter-intuitive, but it's true! = ) If you want to give a listen to one of our songs that is a little less thrash and a little more melodic/progressive, check out www.MySpace.com/TheDeepestRed

What is important to our sound is the following:
---
1.) A beautiful, full bodied clean tone (for bridges, breaks, and clean note work.)
2.) A distinct Overdrive 1 that can be used for softer portions that aren't quite clean (to achieve this effect, I use to flip to my Gibson SG rhythm pick- up which was at a volume of about 2. The only problem is that the tone was not great, even though I achieved a less-gainy faux-overdrive 1.
3.) A crunching, battering, biting, bot NOT muddy Overdrive 2 for thrash rhythms. We're not down tuned at all, and we play Metallica style chord and note driven riffs.

Does that help? = )

// Tim

• Information