Series One 100 vs HT-Stage 60 w/ attenuator

Discussion - HT Venue amplifiers. Inspiration from Studio to Stage.
LonePhantom

Fri Apr 30, 2010 12:35 am

I don't get why you want to buy a 60-100watt amp to play at home. Yes buying a smaller amp and pedals might be close to a larger head, but I see that as far better value.

20watt tube amps are plenty loud enough, more than enough to annoy the neighbours if you turn it up. Also using attenuators/power soaks, etc still affect your tone. It's better to be able to turn a lower wattage amp up a bit as it will get to that optimum tone level at better volume levels for home than a 60-100watt amp. ;)

gt_jumper

Sat May 01, 2010 3:31 am

get a HT-5 and the HT-100

Ht-5 smokes most amps at the whisper volume tones (even most modellers)

Superchampable

Sat May 01, 2010 6:25 am

Myth has it - if you play in a band you need to a half stack- But the reality of it is most people dont, you just think you do. If you buy the half stack an attenuator your going to be spending lots of money on tubes from kranking the volume on it. Not worth it. If anything get the series one one hundred head if you want an 2X12.. and even with the DPR all the way up 10 wats is to much. I would go with the series one 45 combo.. DPR would only be 4 1/2 wats.. but that will still be LOUD. The ht 5 kranks when barrly turned on, maybe at 2 and your not using much if any power tube. Truthfully it sounds amazing at 2 with out the tubes doing there thing. Get the 45 and if you play a huge stage or stadium mik it up.. tones of bands have low wats combos. Oh and 45 wats compared to one hundred wats will only be a few decimals diffrence

guitarnoize

Sun May 15, 2011 7:46 am

Superchampable wrote:Myth has it - if you play in a band you need to a half stack- But the reality of it is most people dont, you just think you do. If you buy the half stack an attenuator your going to be spending lots of money on tubes from kranking the volume on it. Not worth it. If anything get the series one one hundred head if you want an 2X12.. and even with the DPR all the way up 10 wats is to much. I would go with the series one 45 combo.. DPR would only be 4 1/2 wats.. but that will still be LOUD. The ht 5 kranks when barrly turned on, maybe at 2 and your not using much if any power tube. Truthfully it sounds amazing at 2 with out the tubes doing there thing. Get the 45 and if you play a huge stage or stadium mik it up.. tones of bands have low wats combos. Oh and 45 wats compared to one hundred wats will only be a few decimals diffrence
I didn't think the HT-5 had any Power Tubes?

majikmojo

Sun May 15, 2011 11:27 am

it does but the HT5 isn`t a normal tube amp by a long way. It doesn`t use a normal power tube, but a pre-amp tube in a push/pull config. - i believe its a
12bh7 preamp tube

Zado

Tue May 17, 2011 1:03 pm

IMHO,it makes sense.I mean,yeah, you can crank a 20w amp better at home,that's obvious.

But It will sound just like a 20w tube amp anyway.Which is not necessary a bad point,it depends on what you want to play of course

MojoPin

Wed May 18, 2011 9:21 am

The Series One 45 is a great amp and is quite possibly the most versatile amp that Blackstar make.

Tone wise, it can span almost all genres - Maybe pick up a HT-DIST if you feel like blasting out a bit of Slayer, but for me, the super crunch mode gives you an awesome clarity and gain.

Other benefits of the S1-45 are
- DPR - Wattage can be reduced from 45 watts to 4.5watts. At 4.5, you can drive your tubes hard but keep the volume low. At 45 watts, you should be able to compete with a drummer with no real issues. If you're playing in a big room, the chances are you'll be mic'd up through a PA anyway. And if you do feel you need to upscale in the future, you can pick up another 2x12 and have yourself a classy looking stack that pushed twice as much air ;)

- Emulated output- great for home recording. The amp can be used in standby if you want to make no noise, but still drive your valves hard for recording via the emulated output

- Neodymium speakers and side handles - Make a big difference if you're moving the amp around a lot!! Do your back a favour...

Just my $.02

guitarnoize

Wed May 18, 2011 10:30 am

Just wanted to let you know about my new Eminence Reignmaker FDM Speakers which have built in control for up to -9db attenuation.

I can now crank my HT 100 at home, check out my demo: http://www.guitarnoize.com/blog/comment ... m-speakers

bdubbs

Wed May 18, 2011 8:32 pm

Zado wrote:IMHO,it makes sense.I mean,yeah, you can crank a 20w amp better at home,that's obvious.

But It will sound just like a 20w tube amp anyway.Which is not necessary a bad point,it depends on what you want to play of course
Can't really crank a 20 watt amp so well at home. Even with the little 10" in the HT-5 combo you get to some solid volume at around 10 oclock.

Speakers play a larger role in this too, if you have sensitive speakers like the Vintage 30s they will be significantly louder than G12T75s because they are 2 to 3db difference in sensitivity.

• Information