Power tubes for S1-45

THE NEW #1. Series One Amplifiers.
Stoep

Wed Jan 28, 2015 3:03 pm

Need to replace the EL34 power tubes on my s1-45. Any tubes you guys recommend? I've seen comments about JJ, Sovtek, Ehx. Also, the tubes in it are EL34B. What is the B and do I have to replace with a B? Would like the best vintage Marshall crunch and clean tone. Not as concerned on the super crunch. Plus I usually don't play it cranked, so don't know how much the power tube type will affect tone.

thephantum

Thu Jan 29, 2015 12:14 am

You can use an EL34, an EL34B, a 6CA7 or a KT77. While there are some differences in construction, they are all interchangeable.

Keep in mind that this is very subjective. What sounds good to me might not sound good for your style. As an example, I think JJ tubes sound craptacular....but a lot of people like them.

Having said that - my top three recommendations for power tubes, based on you looking for a vintage sound and in preferred order, would be:
  • - SED Winged C's - Marshall's used these for years...you'll pay more for 'em, but you won't be disappointed
    - TungSol's - Excellent tubes and my goto if I don't have any Winged C's around
    - Svetlana's - These will give you a nice vintage 70's hard rock sound....think early Van Halen

aqa

Wed Aug 12, 2015 4:24 am

I tried JJ KT77 in a series one 50, they sounded fantastic, but died after a week. I returned them to the seller and I think I will try tung sol's EL34 next

• Information