Blackstar Series One, Footswitch Latency, Preamp Tubes?

THE NEW #1. Series One Amplifiers.
Martin33

Wed Sep 26, 2012 7:58 am

Hello @ll

Hopefully you can help me,..

I got my Blackstar Series One 100 Head 2 days ago and i really love the sound.

But i have a very noticable delay when i switch between the channels - also when my bandmate pushes the buttons directly on the amp. I got the wrong footswicht i guess its for the HT 100 head but im not sure (it has the channels, Clean, Od1, od2, reverb,.. so i guess its from HT 100 oder HT50 head), so maybe this problem can be solved with the correct footswitch? dont know if there is any difference except the channel-titles?

Does anyone have more experiance with the Series One Channel Switching Issues?

Another thing.. the amp has 4 preamp tubes, Its my first amp where i can "see" the tubes in the amp. the 3rd one from left seems to glow very less, just some glowing spots that i can see.. the ones on the left and right glowing good and strong the second one a little less and the third one much lesser.. just as i said.. some glowing spots.

I cant find any thing wrong in the sound so i dont think that any tube is broken but im not sure??

Thanks to all for some tips :)

Take care
Martin

Bigsmudger

Wed Sep 26, 2012 9:03 am

Hi Martin - welcome on.

The S1 doesn't have reverb so if your footswitch does it's likely to be the wrong one.
The S1 switch should have 4 buttons marked Bright Clean, Warm Clean, Crunch & Super Crunch just like on the amp's front panel.

There are people on here that have noticed issues with channel switching.
I've not noticed my 45 doing it, and if it does it's certainly not been an issue in a band situation.

The stock valves can be a bit suspect - that said I had 2 years out of mine before getting them replaced.
You can do the pre's yourself but I'd leave the power stage to a tech.

If you go for a valve change I can recommend JJ Tesla 83's, a NOS Phillips Jan 82 and Svetlana Winged C EL34s.
My S1 never sounded so good

Hope this helps

Martin33

Wed Sep 26, 2012 9:18 am

Thanks for your reply :)

well i know its the wrong one.. but can this cause the latency? cause the latency also is noticable the same when someone pushes the knobs directly on the amps.. so thats why im not sure if this causes the latency or not.. *sigh*..

The tubes well i think they are okay, cause if one tube is broken it wont sound that good.. but i cant find any "plan" of the amp online so i can figure out what type of tube the 3rd one is - from the left.

Though the latency is the main problem for me.. hopefully with the correct footswitch this isnt an issure anymore..

Thanks
Martin

Bigsmudger

Wed Sep 26, 2012 3:04 pm

From memory there are a few posts on latency on here. If I remember, there's a software fix for the HT100
footswitch but not for the S1. I can't say if it'll help when using an HT switch with your S1 though.
If it's the same when you use the buttons on the amp panel then I'd say it's unlikely to be the footswitch at fault.

Try following the amp reset procedure to see if that helps any.

Blackstar amp schematics seem to be a closely guarded secret and are almost impossible to find.

If they sent your amp with the wrong footswitch, send the switch back and ask to be sent the right one

Cheers - Smudger

Martin33

Thu Sep 27, 2012 11:08 am

Hey ,.. i just got answer from the Blackstar distributor in germany and i tried it .. and it worked.. so if anywone have problems with the footswitch latency .. pls try this..

Theywrote me back its usually in slow switching mode and i have to push all 4 channel select buttons on the amp- press them - turn the power on.. release the channel selct buttons .. and turn the power off and then on again - to switch in fast switching mode .. crazy thing - this worked, so if you have ever some issues that there is a small delay in switching maybe this could help..

Its not a reset, that stands in the handbook..

---------------------

But this also dont help me with my tube problem.. how can i check if a tube is broken? cant find anything bad in the soudn so im not sure.
My Amp hast 3 ECC83 and 1 ECC82. The Tube that dont glow is the ECC82 - i know that cause this is the only one that doenst look the same ...the other 3 preamp tubes look equal. Its the 3rd tube from left when you stand in front of the amp.. ..

I dont know its just not glowing ... just 2 points.. small points are glowing and the rest of the tube is black.. so i dont know.. if there is something wrong or not.. i havnt had an amp where i could see the tubes in the front.

Any Ideas? if thats normal?

Bigsmudger

Thu Sep 27, 2012 8:33 pm

That's an interesting one -
So we hold down all 4 Channel buttons,Turn power on, Release the channel buttons, Power off then back on?
I'll have to try that with mine now to see if I had that problem all along and either didn't spot it or thought it was normal. :)

Did they say if that fixes it permanently or does it need doing every time it's switched on?

I believe the 82 is the rectifier so will probably behave differently to the 83s.
If it's sounding good I'd go with it unless you want to change them as a precaution or upgrade

• Information