Series One 200 - Whos' got one and whatdya think?

THE NEW #1. Series One Amplifiers.
Rise&Destroy

Fri Oct 15, 2010 1:51 am

I have spent years buying amps trying them out and returning them or selling them (some I kept). Demoing them, borrowing them, buying them … Orange Rockers, Engl Powerballs/Morse, Marshall JVM, Laney GH/VH, Soldano SlO, VHT PIT/Deliv, Mesa Rec., you name it. Every amp owned or tried I would use it in a real band situation just to really see what it was about cranked. I had Blackstar S1-200 for close to 45 days. I took on tour for about 3 weeks and it sounded /worked great. I loved it so much. Got back and went to turn it on and no sound came out of it. Checked everything I could… tubes, cord, guitar, knobs, fuses ect….. Strange all the tubes would light up and it would randomly turn on and work fine, like nothing ever happened. I was able to return it on warranty to the place it was purchased from, as of now I’m waiting for a replacement from that vender. The S1-200 is monster and one of the best sounding amps I have ever played. When I was touring along the West Coast people would come up to me after a gig to compliment on the tone and ask questions about it.
Before I sent it back I had purchased a used Artisan 100 Halfstack used and bought the HT-Dual pedal to go with it. To my surprise this set up dialed in, with distortion on channel 2, had just as much balls and distortion as the S1-200. Getting the Blackstar S1-200 to turn on one day before I returned it, I was able to A and B these amps at the same time using similar cabs, both containing V30’s. Yeah it wasn’t exact, but had the low end, the growl, the tone. The Artisan ripped it up in a different fashion that was very comparable. Very, very amazing! I love what Blackstar done with both of these amps and feel that to my subjective ears delivers where most have fallen short. A lot of amps sound great when just testing them. The real test is playing them balls out with a band, recording or A & B them with what you think is the shit.
Even though the S1-200 stopped working, I am still not turned off. I have seen new Boogies go down for unknown reasons and returned. I have gone through years of hell using Marshalls that stopped working at a flip of the coin, just because they sounded great.

tbroknboy

Sun Mar 20, 2011 6:45 am

Love my Blackstar S1 200. Great tone all around, and from time to I change things up just to truly understand how much tone and sound I can get out of this thing.
i also have the Gus G Blackfire Pedal when I feel like putting some true METAL STANK on it. Its gritty and mean, so much so you cant play without making an even face, and grinding your teeth as you feel the horns start to poke out the top of your head.
Sadly :cry: My set up hasnt gone past the jam space to a true live enviornment yet, but hopefully soon.

Hey on a different note though, does anyone have any issue with the amount of heat the S1 200 give off? its like a space heater.
Anyone have any issue fitting it in a roadcase with foam?
Let me know, would love to hear how everyone else is making out.
~T

sheguitarplayer

Sun Apr 03, 2011 9:30 am

I just bought one yesterday and gigged it last night. Love the clean and the crunch/supercrunch but am having trouble getting the OD channels to 'sing'. Might just need a bit more time with it, there are so many variables.
It is bloody heavy though. Sheesh!

sheguitarplayer

Sun Apr 03, 2011 9:34 am

ampdude wrote:Check out the searing lead tone on "Sweet Child" ...yeah, I know I scratched a couple notes in the intro :roll:
http://www.facebook.com/TonysTunes#!/vi ... 385&ref=mf

Also check out the ballsy distortion on the "Tush" intro: http://www.facebook.com/TonysTunes#!/vi ... 385&ref=mf
Thats sounds really great. What sort of settings are you using there?
That sweet child sort of lead tone is just exactly what Im looking for.

Zado

Wed May 18, 2011 3:41 pm

ampdude wrote:Image

www.AutomaticRival.com
Is that an ATX schecter on the avatar?

Icarus wrote:Hell yeah, 2 days ago. Soooo pleased with it, took a gamble and sold my Triple rectifier before hand. No regrets. My Krank is next out of the door now!
Did you really sell your mesa triple recto for a blackstar s200?Always felt the S1 series (never tried the 200w,just the 100) did lack the punch ,the compression,the fat tone and the aggressivity that i found in engl and mesa amps (though i don t like rectos that much,too scooped for me)...dunno..i felt that ,with the supercrunch top gain,the amp was a little too trembly,and had....dunno how to say....a "hole in the middle"...lacked the fullness that pulls you 3 feet back when you play a chord..did you get what i meant?

ampdude

Sat Jul 21, 2012 6:02 pm

sheguitarplayer wrote:
ampdude wrote:Check out the searing lead tone on "Sweet Child" ...yeah, I know I scratched a couple notes in the intro :roll:
http://www.facebook.com/TonysTunes#!/vi ... 385&ref=mf

Also check out the ballsy distortion on the "Tush" intro: http://www.facebook.com/TonysTunes#!/vi ... 385&ref=mf
Thats sounds really great. What sort of settings are you using there?
That sweet child sort of lead tone is just exactly what Im looking for.
Wow, I'm late to this conversation! No notifications :( Not sure if my answer matters now, but honestly, I don't pay attention to my settings. I just turn the knobs until something give me a tingle in that certain place ;) and yeah.. this is a heavy b*tch! As much as I love it, I'm ready to sell it.

ampdude

Sat Jul 21, 2012 9:08 pm

tbroknboy wrote:Love my Blackstar S1 200. Great tone all around, and from time to I change things up just to truly understand how much tone and sound I can get out of this thing.
i also have the Gus G Blackfire Pedal when I feel like putting some true METAL STANK on it. Its gritty and mean, so much so you cant play without making an even face, and grinding your teeth as you feel the horns start to poke out the top of your head.
Sadly :cry: My set up hasnt gone past the jam space to a true live enviornment yet, but hopefully soon.

Hey on a different note though, does anyone have any issue with the amount of heat the S1 200 give off? its like a space heater.
Anyone have any issue fitting it in a roadcase with foam?
Let me know, would love to hear how everyone else is making out.
~T
I sit a 4U rack on top and haven't really noticed a heat issue. However, after a recent re-tube, I did notice the tubes that were removed looked pretty nasty on the side that faces the rear panel. They all had a huge scorch mark. When I took the head to another tech to have it biased, the first thing he noticed was the closed back. Maybe getting a custom fitted vented panel would be a good investment.

ampdude

Sat Jul 21, 2012 9:09 pm

Zado wrote:
ampdude wrote:Image

www.AutomaticRival.com
Is that an ATX schecter on the avatar?

It's an Ibanez S-Classic.

Pellick

Mon Oct 15, 2012 9:32 am

Cheers! New user aboard :D
I got my 200 in January 2011 and I've loved every minute I've spent playing through it. I also have the straight 412 cab.
This is the first amp I've had that I always know is going to sound great every time I switch it on, very unlike the moody Marshalls I had before (JMP1/EL34 rack and JVM410 head). I play in a heavy metal band and also a band that does Iron Maiden tunes.

I think my only annoyance with this head is that it's a nightmare to carry. It's a heavy monster with an uneven weight distribution (two giant transformers on the same side), but I have mine in a rack with wheels and proper handles so it's not really a problem.

LoudHarry

Mon Oct 22, 2012 7:36 pm

I've had mine for some time now and am pretty happy with it, although to be fair I usually only use the clean channel with a TC Electronic Nova drive into a G System ( 5 wire) connection and use a Peavey JSX 120 for the other channel. I have had a bit of valve trouble and all valves have been replaced. The service I got from both Blackstar and the supplying dealer was beyond reproach and therefore heartily recommend both.
Would I buy another one? I don't see any reason why I wouldn't but there again I still use my Peavey for the second channel and am not sure I would change but it has to be said the Blackstar is the driving amp. and supplying the overall tones. The series effects loop is exactly that,true series and is probably the best I've found. I just hope that one day Blackstar find some way of introducing a helium filled transformer to make the thing easier to carry.
So all in all, if you think you need the versatility this amp. offers, go ahead I doubt you'll be disapointed!

• Information