No standby switch on Blackstar HT20.

General Discussion Forum - Voice The Sound In Your Head
daviskin22

Tue May 07, 2019 5:37 am

Forgive another one of my "just wondering" ruminations, but how else do you learn about these things?
I've recently got an HT20, and am utterly stunned, knocked out etc. etc., by it's sound and features. It's the amp I've been looking for some years. At last! Where was I...............oh yes, well, I was just curious as to why there's no standby switch. There's one on the HT-5, the HT-40 etc. :?

Sonofarich

Tue May 07, 2019 9:52 pm

The input jack acts as a standby of sorts.

pearsonrj

Fri May 10, 2019 8:13 pm

I read somewhere that the type of tubes in the HT-20 do not need a 'cooling off' period, and thus do not need a standby switch.
Actually, to clarify:
When power is turned on, the amp defaults to standby when there is no cable plugged into the guitar input jack, or no speaker cable plugged into a speaker output jack.
When on standby, the preamp stage is on, so there is still a signal to the line and XLR outs if you have a guitar plugged in and no speaker cable plugged in.

dtjesus

Sat May 25, 2019 5:57 pm

The standby switch is a soft digital circuit inside. Mine went into a stuck mute mode and has not recovered since then. So my HT-20 is now completely dead. The repair of a SMD digital logic circuit is very hard and can cost anything from $500 onwards, that is if a repair person will even take on that job. If i were you, I'd get rid of the damn thing and buy a traditional amp. Wish i had done that before it went dead.

BurtonKel

Fri May 31, 2019 2:08 pm

Is it possible to somehow add a standby switch by the way? Or is that just technically impossible?

• Information