How did you end up with a Blackstar

General Discussion Forum - Voice The Sound In Your Head
Synns

Tue Feb 10, 2015 11:46 pm

Always been a big Marshall fan, but most of my playing now is bedroom based so brought a Marshall dsl15 which unfortunately turned out to be far to loud for what I needed (plus the lead channel is more or less unusable, not sure what Marshall were thinking with that one) so I sent it back. So started looking for something alittle quieter but with a valve sound and discovered Blackstar, all I can say is wow I absolutely love my ht1r, using it through a ht112 cab though I do plan on swapping the stock speaker for a swamp thang soon.

shimmilou

Wed Feb 11, 2015 2:11 pm

The Swamp Thang is an awesome speaker! I have one in my HRDlx, and one in a 1x12 cab. I have used my HT-5RH with it and the speaker sounds fantastic either clean or distorted. It is loud at 102 db, cleans are great, and it does distortion sounds surprisingly very well also. :D

gtrplr71

Wed Feb 18, 2015 10:15 am

I started with the version 1 HT5 head an cabs and recently moved up to the HT club 20. I use it with my 5150III micro head as a wet dry rig.

Themightyjaymoe

Wed Feb 18, 2015 2:57 pm

I had several practice amps and wanted a tube amp, but most were too big, too loud and expensive. I got the first series HT-5. Loved it but it was missing something. Sold it a year later and got the updated HT-5 with reverb. I was happy but it did not handle any tuning past drop D (to my liking anyway)so I sold it to my guitar teacher. I had another company's amp and at 40 watts it was way too much. I was under the exchange time at the local music shop and when I walked in I saw a limited edition 5th anniversary HT-5 in cream with the 2x10 setup. That was 2 years ago and have loved it every day since. Planning to get an ID core 10 today or tommorow.

flimbo

Wed Feb 18, 2015 10:32 pm

Themightyjaymoe wrote:Planning to get an ID core 10 today or tommorow.
Have you considered the TVP range such as the ID:15TVP @ £199?

Themightyjaymoe

Thu Feb 19, 2015 6:55 pm

I did get the ID core 10 and I am blown away at how massive this amp sounds. It costs less than several desktop and modeling amps and in my opinion makes an affordable (and more importantly) quality practice amp. Even the 10 watt doesnt skimp on features or tone. When compared to my blackstar ht5h it sounds pretty close to tube, not exactly the same, but to my ears about 95% there. Good enough that I played all evening on it without once considering firing up the bigger brother. Well done Blackstar. Well done.

Dominique

Sat Feb 28, 2015 12:03 am

Played with the same band mates for over 30 years. In the early days, we switched names a few times and settled for Black Star. We play hard/heavy rock/metal and liked the idea of heaviness associated with a black hole, black sun... needless to say, the brand name for the amps caught my attention a few years back.

I own a JCM800 and a Mesa/Boogie Nomad (both combos). They always fell short on distortion for the heavier songs of our repertoire. When recently looking for a closed back combo, I worked it down to a Peavy 6505 and a Blackstar HT Metal 60. Bought the latter for its grittier crunch. I also bought an HT Metal 5 for the bedroom.

Love both of them!

Fantom

Sat Feb 28, 2015 5:40 pm

well the story hasn't changed for me but I'm now onto my second blackstar. just upgraded to the ID:100 and ID:412A I'm probably going to keep my 260 still but we'll see how much use it gets. there's some great stories in here, keep them coming

Growingblack

Sun Mar 01, 2015 10:38 am

Almost three years ago I got fed up of not really doing anything with my (great) ideas. I have a several songs in my mind and fingers, but work and family have taken most focus. So I tried to gather a band, but had a challenge in finding members for a complete band and time for rehearsing. And since I like progressive rock, the pool of people interested in that is quite small. So I decided to make it as an internet project, bought a used Peavey and started recording. But since I have kids and my wide breeds guinea pigs in the next room (she has something like 40), I always got some background noise. And I could never play loud since family complained or guinea pigs would have heart attack. So when the Peavey broke down, I googled and came into Blackstar and the emulated output. Ordered a TVP260 and started recording. Found a drummer that really gives feedback and we now prepare the basic parts of songs. It is a great success, we have 21 likes on our Facebook page. In 9 months only. I am happy, besides some issues of hiss, but those issues are minor. The amount of recording time has increased 1000% by the emulated output. I have managed to occupy one room in our house, bought some (more) pedals and studio monitors, new DAW, and I recently bought a HT-5R, I am really getting into this.

s4n1ty

Mon Mar 02, 2015 10:57 am

Hi guys, first post here.

Ive played in cover bands a little while now, and had been using a gsp1101 with decent results. but i found that I basically need 4 core tone as in clean, med gain rock rhythm, heavy rhythm for stuff like metallica and what not and a lead tone. The gsp was quite good at this however getting a simlliar voice at different gain levels always seemed to allude me so i started looking at amps with midi switching for controll purposes and the flexibility i'm used to and the ability to use the gsp with 4cm. Was interested in a marshall JVM for a while, then i saw the series 1 1046l6 andertons review and the series 1 was my amp. Considering i play metal normally at home, this amp is ideal for all situations. Cheers on a good amp Blackstar :D

• Information