How did you end up with a Blackstar

General Discussion Forum - Voice The Sound In Your Head
Fantom

Wed Jan 21, 2015 12:02 am

commenting on another post got me thinking how others were introduced to Blackstar. I went in for a new guitar on black Friday and the store guy plugged me into a tiny Blackstar and it sounded amazing, I don't remember what model it was. I brought my guitar home and plugged it into my shitty peavey and man it sucked. I went back to the store right away. I always thought my next amp would've been a Marshall but I tried one out along side the ID260 and I couldn't leave without it. it sucks some people are having issues but I haven't experienced anything major.

thephantum

Wed Jan 21, 2015 3:15 pm

I was on the market for a new, lower wattage amp and test drove quite a few. The short list ended up being Egnater or Blackstar as they sounded the best to my ears. However, for the cost of the Egnater Renegade Head, I could get both a HT-20H and an HT-5H...so that's what I did.

It's been almost two years now and I'm still very happy with that decision. :mrgreen:

porcytree1

Wed Jan 21, 2015 6:17 pm

Started out with a Line 6 Flextone amp - not the best amp in the world but I liked the range of tones it offered and it helped me to "audition" the tones ( amp types ) that I liked.

Decided to go "all valve" and traded up to a Laney VC30 - great little amp that kinda did the two main tones I liked ( Fendery clean / Voxy crunch ).However, the crunch channel wasn't the best and the amp wasn't good with pedals ( cheap fx loop ).

Then began to really get into higher gain Marshall/Mesa tones ( as well as the other two ) and the Laney certainly couldn't get those tones, so I traded up again to a Blackstar HT40.

As I now tend to play/record mostly at home the HT40 was a bit too loud/big so I now own an ID15 - great tone and hugely versatile as well as small/quiet ( though it gets mighty loud on the occasions when I can crank it up )

DesTheKingOfTawny

Wed Jan 21, 2015 6:29 pm

As a newbie I was just playing a Fender Frontman 25 to get the basics but eventually I outgrew that. This may seem a bit strange but the first thing that applealed to me about Blackstar was their appearance..they just looked fantastic..the logo/branding etc...just looked the business...not overly flash.....just looked professional....next thing was to trawl the net and see if they sounded as good as they looked...hit all the forums and youtube...mostly Rob Chapmans (Andertons) Channel and heard nothing but good things so at that stage I was set on Blackstar. Initially it was the HT-5R but at the last minute I went with the ID 100..best money I've spent in a long time!!

Classicplayer

Thu Jan 22, 2015 2:04 pm

I found evidence on YouTube and user reviews all over the net three years ago and then took the plunge back into tubes in the form of the HT1R combo. It has tuned out to be better than I expected and cost far less than the other 1-watt offerings with the bigger name label and bigger price too. I'd step up in power if I gigg'd and the Blackstar HT line would be my first consideration.

Classicplayer

JohnBNY

Sat Jan 24, 2015 7:14 pm

I had a crappy Marshall MA 100 watt head. I went to Sam Ash to try out different amps and saw the Blackstar HT 100. I plugged in a Les Paul and it sounded great. So, I traded in the MA and bought the HT 100. Being extremely happy with the HT head, I bought the Series One 200, which is also great. I wanted a SS amp for playing at lower volumes, which led me to the ID 60. Then, I wanted an even smaller amp that I can use to play along with my iTunes, which led me to the ID Core 20.

The KIDD

Sun Jan 25, 2015 5:17 pm

Some great reading thus far Gang ! Being mainly a Drummer, it had been yrs since Id owned a gtr amp. Id been runnin my Digitech RP250 through the PA for yrs playin solo gigs but could never crank it or use much bottom end. All the local gtr players were steerin me to shop for a valve amp. Id forgotten how HEAVY those bastieges were... :lol: The local stores here have very little in stock nowdays so I went to Sweetwaters site and just went down the combo amp list comparing specs. When I got to BS, I KNEW the ID series was exactly what I needed, (especially when I read up on the FS-10 that comes with it). Watched 20 or so videos to hear the FX and ISF and all the tubes on different voices....FINALLY , an amp even a DRUMMER can operate.. :lol: ..Had the Id:60 for a yr now with 108 patches stored for the show, and 6 stored for recording parameters via EO. Ive had a blast comparing tubes/voices dailin in what I want for each tune.Taught me ALOT about Gain vrs Vol (especially with the Crunch voices) and how tubes react differently.Took alittle while to get the sensitive "Knob Feel" using the FX but being patient has paid off! Best , most reliable piece of gear Ive bought in 20 yrs!

KIDD
https://www.youtube.com/JOHNKUHNMUSIC

shimmilou

Sun Feb 08, 2015 10:17 am

I go to GC often, to check new gear and occasionally try some. One day when I went in, one of the employees was playing a B* and the sound was just awesome. I checked a few sites and reviews and decided that I would get one. There was a slightly used HT Studio 20 for $100 off of the new price so I took the plunge. I liked it so much that I also bought the HT5RS mini stack, then an HT5R combo, and even a Metal HT5 head. The metal was a bit too much gain, so I traded that one in, but I really enjoy all of the others. My favorite is still the HT Studio 20, through a 4x12....effing awesome sound using hum-buckers. :D

myk.robinson

Tue Feb 10, 2015 12:05 am

For me, it started a few years ago. I do IT work, and I had a service contract with a local mom and pop music store to give them 40 hours of service in exchange for about $4K worth of store credit, with the stipulation that their service hours would expire if they were not used within a calendar year from the date of the agreement. Anyway, it was getting close to Christmas. I was getting some things for my kids and also wanted a new amp for me.

I played through some of the amps at the store, including the Line 6 Spider IV. The L6 sounded good at low volume, but the more you turned it up, the worse it sounded. Add to that the fact that I have had horrible experiences with that company before that I won't bother posting here.

The store had some Blackstar amps in stock, and it was a brand I had never heard of at the time. I tried playing the HT Stage 60, as I was looking for a 2*12 at the time, and had never owned a tube amp before. I have a tendency of being a bit timid at music stores and I have a hard time coming up with anything to play to test things... So there was a kid, maybe 16 years old, that I heard absolutely shredding the guitar. I asked him to A/B the Spider IV and the HT Stage 60 for me, which would keep him playing while I tweaked the controls to see what kind of tones each amp was capable of.

I ended up selecting the Blackstar. As I was getting ready to leave, I stopped to talk to that kid again. I thanked him for helping me and asked him if he played with anyone. He said that he would like to but he only has a small practice amp. He said he really liked the Line 6 and would love to be able to afford the 2*12 he auditioned for me that day. I had plenty of store credit left, so I handed it to him and told him Merry Christmas, then went to the counter to pay for it :) His jaw dropped, and he made me call his mom so she wouldn't think it was stolen when he got home. I also had them print a receipt for him and put my phone number on it if his mom had any further questions, along with the store owner's name and number.

Wish I had had enough store credit left to buy him an HT Stage 100 and cabinet. Feel almost bad getting him a Line 6, but he liked it and I am sure he has enjoyed it for the past few years.

Off topic, but if you don't know it, I am a Christian. And it was an absolute honor and privilege to have the opportunity to serve in that capacity and to help that kid have what may have been the best Christmas he has had. Felt good to do something nice for someone like that, even if it was a Line 6 ;) I may never see that kid again as long as I live, but I will never forget his smile, nor will I forget the tears that streamed down his cheek when he finally came to terms with the fact that I wasn't joking and wanted him to have that amp. I'm glad that kid was able to see the love of Christ that day in an age where most are too concerned with receiving to do much giving....

So what's your story?

DesTheKingOfTawny

Tue Feb 10, 2015 11:35 am

myk.robinson wrote:For me, it started a few years ago. I do IT work, and I had a service contract with a local mom and pop music store to give them 40 hours of service in exchange for about $4K worth of store credit, with the stipulation that their service hours would expire if they were not used within a calendar year from the date of the agreement. Anyway, it was getting close to Christmas. I was getting some things for my kids and also wanted a new amp for me.

I played through some of the amps at the store, including the Line 6 Spider IV. The L6 sounded good at low volume, but the more you turned it up, the worse it sounded. Add to that the fact that I have had horrible experiences with that company before that I won't bother posting here.

The store had some Blackstar amps in stock, and it was a brand I had never heard of at the time. I tried playing the HT Stage 60, as I was looking for a 2*12 at the time, and had never owned a tube amp before. I have a tendency of being a bit timid at music stores and I have a hard time coming up with anything to play to test things... So there was a kid, maybe 16 years old, that I heard absolutely shredding the guitar. I asked him to A/B the Spider IV and the HT Stage 60 for me, which would keep him playing while I tweaked the controls to see what kind of tones each amp was capable of.

I ended up selecting the Blackstar. As I was getting ready to leave, I stopped to talk to that kid again. I thanked him for helping me and asked him if he played with anyone. He said that he would like to but he only has a small practice amp. He said he really liked the Line 6 and would love to be able to afford the 2*12 he auditioned for me that day. I had plenty of store credit left, so I handed it to him and told him Merry Christmas, then went to the counter to pay for it :) His jaw dropped, and he made me call his mom so she wouldn't think it was stolen when he got home. I also had them print a receipt for him and put my phone number on it if his mom had any further questions, along with the store owner's name and number.

Wish I had had enough store credit left to buy him an HT Stage 100 and cabinet. Feel almost bad getting him a Line 6, but he liked it and I am sure he has enjoyed it for the past few years.

Off topic, but if you don't know it, I am a Christian. And it was an absolute honor and privilege to have the opportunity to serve in that capacity and to help that kid have what may have been the best Christmas he has had. Felt good to do something nice for someone like that, even if it was a Line 6 ;) I may never see that kid again as long as I live, but I will never forget his smile, nor will I forget the tears that streamed down his cheek when he finally came to terms with the fact that I wasn't joking and wanted him to have that amp. I'm glad that kid was able to see the love of Christ that day in an age where most are too concerned with receiving to do much giving....

So what's your story?
That story just just flew to the top of the cool scale...well done my friend!!! And I well know that feeling about testing guitars or gear in a shop and afraid to crank it up to test the gear properly amongst other people who are barely shaving and just shredding away!!!

• Information